Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Philadelphia Auto Show







Today we ventured inside for a photo expedition. Sheryll had received tickets for the Auto Show so down to Philly we went. This was a first for us, having only visited these shows through other people's eyes. I took my camera, of course, since it was a week day crowds should be low. To go again, I would have taken my 12-24 instead of the 18-135. The wider angle and the distortion are a pleasing effect to me and you can cover more of the car from a closer position. Bumping up the ISO to 640 made for easy hand held shots and didn't really detract from the photos.
As Sheryll wandered around, mentally she was comparing her Venza to all the other cars and there was only one that caused a big smile as soon as she sat in it, the BMW X6 sport utility for about $85000. Can't blame her. It had phenomenal lines, sat up just enough to make it easy to get in and out of, a wide stance that just screamed to fly over some winding country road and seats that just said no problem to whatever road you wanted to zoom around.
Of course, everyone (at least everyone that hasn't won the lottery) goes to dream about the car they would buy if they won the lottery. Those that have just go to the dealer, drink his latest vintage Chardonnay and abuse the poor cussed salesman into given him a better price because "Muffy" just has to have it before the next cotillion. So, here is my list if I had the right 6 numbers. I, of course, would not have a "Muffy" but I would have first and foremost a Porsche 911 Carrera. Not sure if it would be the PDK manual shift automatic or the manual 6 speed or of the color but it would be a Porsche. Fell in love with it when my high school chemistry teacher bought the '67 Targa in orange and black. Wouldn't matter how many zeros or commas where in the amount either.
If I was born of stock that came from big oil or hotels that charge thousands per night, I would consider the Bentley. Big on power, really big on comfort and just oozes class. Of course, I'm not ready for that set yet so I would probably go with the Aston Martin Rapide. After all, if Prince Charles needs to go out in public with Camilla, he needs something to please the paparazzi because it sure isn't her and if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me! Oh yea, James Bond drove earlier models also. Once again, really big on power, comfort, class and looks.
If I was the type that couldn't care about the homeless guy on the steam vent, wore tons of Guido chains and had the top three buttons undone on my shirts than I would definitely be seen in the Lamborghini LP 570-4 Superleggera at just a tad under $235000. I think Darth Vader was on the design team. No hyper drive but you do get a V-10 with 570 horse power, 0-60 in 3.4 seconds and a top speed of 202 mile an hour. I think Superleggera means you get a tall long legged Italian super model in the passenger seat also (hey, think is my fantasy isn't it?).
The SUV would definitely be the X6 from BMW for the above reasons. A very close second was the Acura ZDX. An unbelievable sound system, racy looks, once again that wide stance and great seats for that zoom zooming again. A little smaller than the X6 but worthy of a look.
I'm not sure where they fit in, but Mercedes has to fit in somewhere. They are just an awesome company. So many design and safety features everyone else spews out came from their engineers. Innovation begins here. The CL S550 just says quietly, "Yeah. I'm successful" without flaunting it and the performance of the SLS AMG will have your passenger screaming to let her out if you if were to put it through its paces that it's capable of. So, you pull over, open the gull wing doors, let her out and carry on. It's gonna' perform even better with one person than two anyway.
To haul your toys around, you need the truck. A big truck. Toyota may have car like qualities but we're talking truck here. Still didn't see anything better than the Ford F250 with the diesel. Chevy sounded hollow shutting the doors and the interior looked cheesy with all the plastic trim. And that hurts too because I have always been a Chevy guy. Dodge still has the same old design and fit and finish. The Cummings diesel is a big teaser but it's still in the Dodge. I would still go with the Ford.
I would have to stop here because of not enough room in the garage. After all, it is already stuffed with all the muscle cars from the late sixties. You know the ones, 67 & 70 Chevelles, 66 GTO, 68 GTX, 67 Nova, 69 Z-28 and some Mustang also. Remember, we are fantasizing here.
Both photos are just fun images from the show. Something beyond Car & Driver pix.
If you get the chance, put on the wide angle lens, bump up the ISO, go early and enjoy your own fantasy. I did! And remember....
Always go to the light,
Steve

1 comment:

  1. Your sense of humor always makes me smile and it sounds like you had a wonderful day at the auto show. One of these days I am seriously going to have to "shadow" you and learn about ISO, lens options and light - if I get a good picture, it's just luck. Missed you this weekend and praying that all is well . . .

    ReplyDelete