Sunday, February 20, 2011

Silver Lake Nature Center Photo Contest










Yesterday was the awards ceremony for the Silver Lake Nature Center 37th Annual Photography Contest hosted by the Focal Planes Foto Club. I like this contest because images are judged (by 4 judges this year) in a more straight forward manner, in lieu of more heavily and obviously Photoshopped pictures. Don't get me wrong, I love using Elements and I use it on every picture, albeit sparingly. I have seen pictures in some contests that have objects placed there that no way could have been in the scene and won. Not a problem but put them in a category for manipulated images. SLNC pictures are as close to "what you saw in the scene is what you get in the picture" (Wow, my own WYSISIWYGIP!) There were over 300 images presented for judging in two levels, Amateur and Advanced Amateur. Categories cover the usual, landscape/seascape, animals, plants, people outdoors, outdoor architecture and Bucks County Parks both black & white and color. Because of having won in the past, both Sheryll and I are in the Advanced Amateur level. Sheryll won First Place (B&W BC Parks), 3 Second Place (B&W Architecture, B&W Plants, Color Landscape) and 2 Third Place (B&W Landscape and Bonus Photo, a B&W Architecture). Yes, she apparently likes black &white photographs. Too bad she missed the darkroom days. I won 3 First Place (B&W Animals, Color Animals, and Color Plants), 4 Second Place (all B&W in Landscape, Architecture, Plants and BC Parks) and 1 Third Place (BC Parks Color). Impressive and humbling. It is validation that the work we put into the time and travel is worth it, the effort we take to improve pays off and above all else, it is fun and something we enjoy doing together. Sheryll has really grown. Five years ago, if you said Sheryll would be out in 10 with a 20 mph wind beside a frozen lake, I would still be laughing. All that was needed was a camera (on a tripod, of course!) to make it happen.
When preparing pictures for the contest, you have high hopes for all entered images. But you never know. This year a 4th judge was added and all came with a different perspective which was good for the judging. My two favorites were the Bald Eagle and my landscape of the Barnegat jetty. My eagle won and the jetty didn't. My b&w of another bald eagle won a 1st and yet I wasn't happy with the conversion from color. Photography is a very subjective subject! There were some very good photographs entered in both levels and next years' Advanced Amateur level will definitely grow. It is a good way to get ideas on places to visit for future outings and we have some good ideas. The Best of Show was a picture taken at the Eastern State Penitentiary and every bit worthy of the award. What a place to visit and is definitely on our list.
It is fun to watch the winners, especially those new to competing. Of course, some go home disappointed. Hopefully, learning can come out of the experience. I have included 3 of my winners, Sheryll's will follow soon. The first is the Bald Eagle, then the flower and then the mill picture. Hope you enjoy!

Always go to the light,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment